The Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams (TTD) has raised to adopt energy-efficient technologies to transform itself into an eco-friendly pilgrim centre.

The Bureau of Energy Efficiency has given its consent to the Andhra Pradesh Energy Conservation Mission (APSECM) to implement energy-efficient measures. The measures will be implemented in the main temple premises along with allied temples and choultries.

Currently, the consumption of Tirumala is 68 million units per annum. Solar and wind power generation provides 30% of the total consumption. The remaining 70% is supplied through Andhra Pradesh Southern Power Distribution Company Limited around Tirumala Hills.

The annual expenditure on the electricity bills is Rs 40 crore which the Tirumala trust wants to decrease by Rs 4 to Rs5 crore.

The TTD has decided to replace 5,000 ordinary fans with BLDC fans which will cost around Rs 1.35 crore. This will save around 0.88 million units per annum with Rs 62 lakh monetary savings. The payback period is 26 months.

Also, the management is planning to go for a 2.2 MW rooftop solar system in all colleges and schools in Tirupati and TTD building in Tirumala.